Congratulations to Oakwood School, this year’s Southwest Regional MSPDP champion! The Grand Final Debate was brilliantly debated and Colina Middle School placed second on a 2-1 decision by a panel of judges. The Grand Final Debate topic was “Facial recognition technology does more harm than good.” The 2019 championship was held at Mount San Antonio College, Walnut, CA. More than 130 teams qualified for the competition from events held in 10 debate leagues.
The preliminary debate topics (all teams participated in debates on these topics) included the following:
- The First Amendment should not protect lying in campaigns and elections.
- Expand Social Security to provide an adequate retirement.
- Eliminate farm subsidies!
- Autonomous weapon systems do more good than harm.
- The US President should serve a single 6-year term.
Congratulations to all MSPDP debaters for their performances at the championship and academic term league events and thanks to teachers, coaches, judges, parents, and volunteers for an extraordinary year of debating!