PLEASE NOTE – Earlier registration for this tournament. It is Monday, April 16, 6:00 PM.
This year’s championship tournament will be held at Rim of the World High School, Lake Arrowhead, California. The tournament will be held on Saturday, April 21. The invitation, schedule, topic list, and additional details will be available on Wednesday, March 21.
The topics are NOT listed in round order. The pre-announced topics for the event include:
- AT&T’s proposed purchase of TimeWarner will do more good than harm.
- Federal district court judges should not be permitted to issue nationwide injunctions that benefit nonparties.
- The State of California should be permitted to block actors’ ages on IMDB websites.
Additional impromptu topics will be selected from current events and enduring ethical controversies.
1. Please ensure that your school has sufficient certified judging for entered teams (one judge for the full tournament covers 2 teams or portion thereof). Individuals may not judge at a tournament at which they are certified. Prospective judges complete certification at a tournament and then judge at subsequent debate tournaments.
Schools may register only those teams for which they have certified judges. In other words, if your school would like to register 4 teams, you must register 2 certified judges. Those judges must be available to judge all 4 debates. If you would like your registered judges to have a free debate or two, you must register more of them. For example, if you register 4 teams and want to have 2 debates in which your volunteers do not judge (e.g., so that parents might view their own children in debates), you must register 4 judges for the competition.
2. Please register by Monday, 6:00 PM of the tournament week. There is no guarantee that the tournament can secure space for teams entered after that date/time.